Even the most optimistic of us can, at times, come down with a nasty case of the blues. Maybe it’s caused by stress from a project at work, a recent argument with your significant other, or maybe it just came out of nowhere. Regardless of the cause, feeling bad feels bad.
If you’re in a rut, you’re probably not too keen on staying in it. When you need to fend off periods of stress, depression, or anxiety, here are the top 7 ways to motivate yourself whenever you are feeling down.
- Call someone. “Depression is a disease of loneliness,” says Andrew Solomon in an article for The Guardian. A study published by the relationship charity, Relate, found that people who reported having good relationships had higher levels of well being, while those reporting poor relationships were linked to lower levels of health, well being, and self-confidence.
- Start a gratitude practice. While you may not be sporting your rose-colored glasses right at this very moment, we think you can probably manage to locate some positive perspective…thought it might be a struggle at first. According to research, intentional opportunities for gratitude in your life can boost your happiness levels by as much as 25 percent!
- Ditch social media. According to Psychiatry Online, social media is linked to higher levels of depression in young adults. In fact, those using multiple social media platforms present an even greater risk for depression and anxiety. Even when you’re feeling fine, social media can perpetuate comparisons between your life and others. Limit it whenever possible.
- Take out the trash. Cut out negativity in all forms. Don’t watch the news, see a horror movie, or listen to your toxic friend as they selfishly rant about how bad their luck has been lately. Negative energy is contagious!
- Visualize. Psychology Today recommends a visualization strategy you can do at home that, they assert, can “rapidly treat depression.” Follow the steps here, and you’ll be feeling better in no time!
- Employ the Law of Attraction. Based on the belief that like attracts like, this philosophy argues that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts a person has the ultimate power to bring positive or negative experiences into their life. Click here to see how to use the Law of Attraction to combat depression.
- Get moving. You don’t have to workout when you get there–you just have to put your sneakers and head to the gym…or a running trail….or a fitness class. Chances are, once you’re there, you’ll follow through with the workout, and, once you break a sweat, you’ll reap all the rewards that come with working out. According to Time Magazine, exercise triggers the release of chemicals in the brain that dull pain, uplift your mood, and relieve stress.
Do you have a foolproof way of improving self motivation anytime you’re down? If so, we want to hear all about it!
When I had neck and back problems I slept on our guest bedroom mattress and loved it so much we replaced our sleepnumber bed with a Nuvanna mattress. They are amazing! I recommend them to everyone!
Published on Friday, May 4, 2018
Rated 9.3 out of 10 based on 49 reviews. See some of the reviews here.View More Reviews