Sleeping safe and sound, nestled under your duvet, snug, cozy, comfortable…it might be one of the best feelings you’ll ever experience. And when sleeping soundly is a nightly ritual, the consistency of this sense of calm and security in your life can vastly improve your daily life, health, and wellness.
However, if, unfortunately, you’re not able to fall quickly and easily into a deep slumber and stay asleep, anxiety around your nightly ritual can heighten, leaving you to dread the nighttime hours. If you’re not sleeping soundly each and every night, here are our 8 best recommendations for getting consistent, high-quality sleep.
- Ditch the nightlight.Studies have proven that a bright bedroom not only wreaks havoc on your sleep quality, sleeping in a bedroom just bright enough to see across can actually lead to a larger waistline!
- No electronics before bed.Instead of watching television, scrolling on your iPad, or finishing up a last minute report for work, listen to some quiet music, take a bath, or read a book. Don’t forget…even your Kindle is electronic. Paper books only!
- Don’t sleep in.Creating a consistent sleep schedule is integral to getting good sleep. You may be tempted to sleep in on weekends, but resist the urge! Waking up and heading to bed at the same time each day will help reset your internal clock, resulting in mornings free from grogginess and sleeping-pill-free bedtimes.
- Work out.Exercise is not only a fabulous stress reliever, but it has also been shown to improve your sleep quality. Note: Limit working out just before sleep. That natural boost in energy is best reserved for the daytime hours!
- Leave your worries behind.The most common reason that people can’t sleep is an attack of incessant thinking as soon as their eyes close. If you hit the sheets and can’t stop the whirlwind of thoughts from populating your mind, try writing down your problems in a bedside notebook. In the morning, come back to them…creative problem solving is keenest in the first few moments after waking up.
- Meditate.When it comes to whirling thoughts, meditation is an incredible way to de-stress, improve your health, diminish anxiety, and regulate your emotions. To reap the many rewards of a mindful life, check out our in-depth guide on how to meditate.
- Create a sleep sanctuary.Your bedroom should be a respite from the outside world. Reserve the space for sleep and sex only. Lose the clutter, ditch your laptop at the door, and promptly relocate your television.
- Watch what you eat.Eating just before bed can lead to trouble sleeping while going to bed on an empty stomach can create similar disturbances in your sleep cycle. Read this blog for a more detailed description of what to eat and when.
What steps have you taken in your life to ensure nights of sound sleep and consistently well-rested days?
When I had neck and back problems I slept on our guest bedroom mattress and loved it so much we replaced our sleepnumber bed with a Nuvanna mattress. They are amazing! I recommend them to everyone!
Published on Friday, May 4, 2018
Rated 9.3 out of 10. See some of the reviews here.View More Reviews