“Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.”
Ben Franklin’s advice has become familiar adage, and, the benefits to greeting the day early are plentiful. People report a variety of improvements to their overall wellbeing when they embrace an early welcome to the day. These benefits include:
- Higher productivity.
- Less Stress due to reduced rushing and the elimination of lateness.
- Better eating habits with more time to enjoy a good breakfast and pack a healthy lunch.
- More exercise due to extra time in the morning.
- Increased energy level due to better eating and more exercising.
- Better sleep due to your body’s adjustment to a regular routine.
There are plenty of excuses to avoid the switch and maintain the status quo:
- “I’m just not a morning person!”
- “I’m always tired—this couldn’t possibly help me!”
- “I don’t like waking up.”
- “I can’t fall asleep early so I can’t wake up early.”
But the change can be life-changing with some simple strategies and modifications:
- Start with a modest adjustment; if you normally wake up at 7:30, move it back to 7:15 and back the time up as it becomes more comfortable.
- Create an intention as you go to bed and repeat it as you awaken in the morning. This is an empowering and motivating action. Intentions can be things like:
- I will identify three positive things in my life.
- I will reach out to a friend or relative.
- I will extend out of my comfort zone in some measurable way.
- I will try something new.
- Place your alarm clock across the room; this way you are forced to get out of bed to reach it and once you are up you are more inclined to stay up.
- Plan a specific task or activity for the moment you awaken: exercise, meditate, practice Yoga, watch the sun rise, enjoy a special breakfast, journal.
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you awaken. After a night of sleep your body can use the hydration, and this will help you feel more alert right away.
- Try the Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock. This innovative technology tracks your sleep patterns and awakens you when you are in the lightest phase of sleep closest to the time set on your alarm—so the awakening is gentler and less jarring.
- Enlist a wake up call service such as WakeUpLand.
- Eliminate caffeine after 12 noon every day.
While these tactics seem simple, they are proven techniques for helping people awaken earlier and meet the day with positivity and productivity.
This shift can have a remarkably transformative effect on your health, your attitude, your mindset and your wellbeing.
Ben Franklin had a point!
When I had neck and back problems I slept on our guest bedroom mattress and loved it so much we replaced our sleepnumber bed with a Nuvanna mattress. They are amazing! I recommend them to everyone!
Published on Friday, May 4, 2018
Rated 9.3 out of 10. See some of the reviews here.View More Reviews